Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Battle of the Matte Bronzers: theBalm Bahama Mama vs. Benefit Hoola


It's been a month since I posted a Battle of the Highlighters comparing the Hardy Candy So Baked Bronzer in Tiki and theBalm Mary-Lou Manizer.  Oddly enough, I am comparing another product from theBalm today in my Battle of the Bronzers.

Today I am featuring theBalm's Bahama Mama Bronzer and Benefit's Hoola.  I don't have a full size Hoola bronzer, but the product is the same even if this is only the deluxe sample size.

 Here is what the Hoola full sized packaging looks like.  

Packaging:  Both of these products come in cardboard packaging.  Both have mirrors.  Hoola comes with a brush, but I never use the brushes that come with the products.  Bahama Mama is much more compact and easier to store than Hoola (the reason I opted for the deluxe sample instead of the full size).  I feel like there is a lot of wasted space in the Hoola packaging.  Since the bronzer sits lower in the box, I think it would be difficult to get the last bits of product out without destroying your brush once you have hit pan. 

Size:  Bahama Mama is .25oz, while the full size Hoola is .28oz.  The Hoola deluxe sample is 0.1oz.

Product:  Both products are a powder.  Hoola is a bit softer than Bahama Mama.
 
Color:  The swatches look very similar.  Both are matte bronzers, so they are perfect for contouring.  I don't think they make me look orange, and they don't look like dirt on my cheeks.  Bahama Mama is a bit darker and more bronzy.

Availability:  theBalm cosmetics are available on their website.  Certain products are available at Sephora.com, but I didn't see Bahama Mama on Sephora's website.  Hoola is available at Sephora, Ulta, and Benefit's website.  I'm sure you can also find it at other online retailers.      

Cost:  Both of these are higher end bronzers.  Bahama Mama is $19 on theBalm's website.  I found mine at Marshall's in a set for $10.  Hoola is $28 at Sephora.  Ouch. 

I got my deluxe sample size of Hoola in the Tan About Town kit at Sephora.  It was $12 and included deluxe samples of Some Kind-A Gorgeous in Medium (WAAAAAY too dark for me to use) and BadGal lash. 

Overall:  These are both good products.  Bahama Mama is nicer for your budget, but Hoola is a long-time YouTube favorite.  I would recommend that you try the Tan About Town kit to see if Hoola works for you before spending $28 on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment